Products You May Like
The transfer windows in Europe’s top leagues are closed, but it’s never too early to look forward to January. Click here to view the latest transfers, and keep up to date with the newest gossip below.
Juventus eye Chelsea trio
Chelsea fans still smarting from Saturday’s shock 1-0 loss at home to West Ham won’t be pleased to hear that continental bargain hunters Juventus are sniffing around three of their stars.
Reports at Tuttosport claim that the Bianconeri are lining up moves for Emerson Palmieri, Willian and Pedro, with the Serie A champions looking to take advantage of the protracted contract situations of the latter two.
In particular, Juve sporting director Fabio Paratici is concentrating on Brazilian winger Willian and could make a January swoop to tie the 31-year-old down to a pre-contract agreement to join the Turin club in the summer of 2020.
Pedro, meanwhile, is also close to the end of his Stamford Bridge deal, and with no new contract believed to be on offer at the moment, there is a clearer pathway for Juventus to sign the former Barcelona forward.
Full-back Palmieri would be the only player of the three to command a transfer fee, having joined from Roma on a four-year deal in 2018.
10.00 GMT: Manchester City have identified Leicester City’s Caglar Soyuncu as the long-term replacement for Vincent Kompany, according to The Sunday Times.
City has been plagued by issues in defence all season following Kompany’s departure to become player-manager at Anderlecht. Aymeric Laporte is a long-term absentee through injury while both John Stones and Nicolas Otamendi have struggled with form and fitness, leading to Fernandinho filling in at centre-back.
Soyuncu, 23, has emerged as a key player for Leicester under Brendan Rodgers’ management this season, featuring in all but one of their Premier League games so far this term. The Turkey international has helped the Foxes keep clean sheets in each of their last four league games.
PAPER TALK (by James Capps): Vidal vying for Inter switch
Barcelona midfielder Arturo Vidal is growing increasingly frustrated at his lack of playing time at Barcelona, and Tuttosport claims the Chilean is hoping to link up with Antonio Conte at Internazionale in January.
The 32-year-old has been missing for the Catalans’ last three games and has been in and out of the side since joining the club from Bayern Munich in the summer of 2018.
Conte has been a long-term admirer of the former Juventus man. He reportedly wanted to bring him to the San Siro in the summer and also enquired about the midfielder’s availability while he was manager of Chelsea.
Speaking in an interview, Vidal raised doubts over his long-term future at the Nou Camp, saying he will reevaluate his options at the turn of the year if his first team prospects don’t improve.
United to trigger Matic deal to avoid Italian freebie
Serie A leaders Juve are closely monitoring the Serbian’s contract situation, with the 31-year-old’s deal at Old Trafford expiring at the end of the season.
However, the United hierarchy are determined to recoup at least some of the £40 million transfer fee they spent to sign Matic from Chelsea in 2017, and will trigger a one-year extension on the player’s deal if he does not agree a permanent move in the January transfer window.
Reports claim the Red Devils are looking for around £15 million for the 48-cap Serbia international, and Inter Milan manager Conte prefers the defensive midfielder as a potential bargain over the aforementioned Vidal.
– Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson says he is bracing himself for another tense transfer window, with the Standard saying that speculation regarding Wilfried Zaha‘s future is set to intensify after the club’s chairman told the Ivory Coast international he can leave the club in the New Year if the right offer comes in.
– Queens Park Rangers midfielder Eberechi Eze looks set to miss out on a dream move to Tottenham Hotspur following the sacking of manager Mauricio Pochettino, who was reportedly lining up a January move for the 21-year-old. The Sun claims Chelsea, Leicester and West Ham are also keen on the youngster.
– Celtic manager Neil Lennon is determined to keep midfielder Nir Bitton at the club, despite the Israel international being linked with a free transfer to Premier League side Burnley, according to the Herald. The 27-year-old’s contract in Glasgow expires at the end of the season, but Lennon says talks to extend the player’s stay are ongoing.